Queue based DoS x monkeyuser.com
A mischievous joke to those who need a cup of coffee to take off, and there is a long queue to the only coffee machine on the floor… A truly evil person turning on the machine cleaning mode which takes almost one hour to complete.
Now, think about all coffee machines in each kitchen at all floors simultaneously occupied by a long line of evil co-workers.
Read more and check our tips.
Denial-of-service attack (DoS attack) is an attack in which the perpetrator’s aim is to prevent a web application from operating normally. The attacker can perform a DoS attack by sending heavy network traffic to the application or exploiting an application level bottlenecks.
An application level DoS for example can be caused by sending HTTP requests which abuse web application’s function and take long time to execute (some kind of bottleneck is present) and return response (e.g. when an application uses “heavy” SQL queries).
Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack takes place when more than one machine is used to perform the DoS attack.
Surely you’ve heard about the following DoS attacks:
– During the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics 2018 in PyeongChang, Russian hackers attacked and caused, among others, a 12-hour downtime in printing tickets and the website operation. The bug responsible for the DoS attack was named the “Olympic Destroyer”.
– During the presidential campaign in the USA: attempts to DDoS attack on websites of Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump campaigns have been made several times and via the Mirai Botnet classified as 7 Layers (HTTP).
– Another Mirai botnet use case which targeted Dyn (DNS service provider) in result services like GitHub, Twitter, Reddit, Netflix, Airbnb where not available.
Interesting application level DoS vectors:
- XML Security: A Billion Laughs / XML Bomb – careful when parsing XML
- Zip bomb – be careful when unpacking archive
- Pixel flood attack – be careful when converting images
- Java Floating Point DoS, PHP respectively
Install a camera and carefully monitor the queue near coffee machines, increase supply of coffee machines if needed. Stay sharp, focused, and drink coffee.
Subscribe our newsletter and stay in touch with us!
The comics were created in collaboration with monkeyuser.com